Thursday, November 22, 2012

PSA: Anxiety

For me, the only downside to Tourette’s (other than you know, twitching uncontrollably like a malfunctioning clockwork chicken) is the psychological aspect to it, most notably Anxiety*.


 Anxiety is a special form of hell specially formulated by the Gods as a punishment for some unknown previous life where we were obviously major arseholes to the rest of the world.

  
 It is that gut wrenching feeling that sets every single atom in your body into party mode where they binge on far too much tequila, get wasted, and fuck your shit up.

I should mention that Tequila Warheads are the best way to consume Tequila.
 Anxiety means that sleep is a precious commodity as insomnia digs its razor sharp claws into your heart and into your mind. Making any sort of decision becomes impossible as uncertainty, hesitation, questions propagate and build and grow within your mind until the thought of even taking a breath is suddenly questionable and as your chest tightens and breathing becomes even harder whilst tears struggle, fight, yearn to break free and course generously down your cheeks ruining your perfectly applied makeup and all you can do is stare at a blank Word document and wonder “what the hell am I supposed to write?”

  
And the worst thing about Anxiety is the misunderstanding attached to it. When someone asks me what’s wrong and I respond by saying “Anxiety” they always ask “Oh, what’s brought that on?”

Nothing.

Nothing has brought it on.

Nothing other than the fact I have a chemical imbalance in my brain due to having a neuropsychiatric disorder, otherwise known as Tourette Syndrome, which is causing my entire emotional stability to teeter too and fro. There is nothing “bringing it on.” It simply exists.

If someone has anxiety the correct thing is not to ask “Oh, what’s brought that on?” but  “Oh, would you prefer whisky or wine?”

And no matter how bad I am feeling, no matter how close to the verge of tears and frustration I may be - My answer will always be Wine**.
 

Basically, the "why" of chemical anxiety is irrelevant and frustrating. Any question asked of someone suffering from any form of anxiety is irrelevant and will only frustrate the person - In fact, don't even ask if we want Whiskey or Wine, just be a gem and get it for us.

Anxiety: Act don't Ask.

And thus concludes (albeit absuptly) todays PSA.


 * For the sake of clarity, I also have depression, OCD, ADD and aggression issues as do most people with Tourette’s, however Anxiety is the only one I suffer from.

** Funnily enough, when I was diagnosed with Tourettes and the specialist prescribing me this that and the other in order to “help” me quickly realised that none of the drugs worked. As such, he prescribed me alcohol instead. He said that given we know that it works to resolve both my anxiety and insomnia then better the devil you know than another adverse reaction.

1 comment: