Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Trying to Breathe

I grew up in south west Sydney in a small city called Liverpool, and more particularly in an estate called Orange Grove. Orange Grove estate was an old housing commission estate that the Government, had kicked the bums out of, instead selling off the houses after realising they would make more money by providing houses to those who pay taxes, as opposed to those our taxes pay for. 

Anyway, our little estate had its very own school which catered to the locals and whichever other Liverpool kids weren’t able to attend their more local public school. Our little school was called Marsden Road Public School. I lived on Marsden Road. I felt privileged. 

Marsden Road was a very proud little school as it had a propensity to pump out future local and international sports stars.

This is all well and good if you are sportily inclined, as most kids at the school were, enjoying cricket and soccer and football and netball and basketball and such. 

I very much wanted to be sportily inclined, as dancing wasn’t seen in the best regard at the school.

 
Unfortunately, my lungs decided that anything other than a gentle stroll, or perhaps dancing, was a bit too much and would promptly decide to stop working.



This made it very hard to be sporty in a sports oriented school, and I was thought of as uncoordinated, chubby, and completely uncool. Glasses, an unfortunate haircut, being top in the class for science and maths, and having a sister who was actually uncool didn’t help either.

 

But my lungs had it in for me long before I started school, and decided that I’d forever be the uncool kid when I was born.

You see, apparently being born was a bit too much and so they decided to stop working.
My mother still claims I was the most beautiful blue baby she’d ever seen and the first noise I made was “Plop” rather than “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!”


The reason I’m bringing up my failtacular lungs is because I haven’t written or drawn or created anything in the past few days because my lungs have decided that some of the local flora is a bit too much and have decided to stop working. 


A couple of puffs of Asthma Puffer Drug thingy later and my lungs start working properly, but unfortunately my bodies inability to understand drugs and how they work properly means the rest of my body is not.
But my bodies rather amusing and confusing reaction to drugs is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment