Boyfriend is an Engineer.
When we first started dating he didn’t understand why I felt uncomfortable with him wearing blue tee shirts, and why I screamed with despair and heartache if he ever so much as thought about wearing a red shirt.
![]() |
| But I don't want you to die!!! |
However, this confusion over what coloured clothing Boyfriend could or could not wear was directly linked to me being raised on a healthy diet of Star Trek: the Next Generation. Growing up watching TNG which was filled with Engineers, I somehow came to believe that all Engineers watched TNG. After all, any girl that wanted to be a princess would watch Disney movies, so it only makes sense that any child wanting to be an engineer would watch Star Trek!
Boyfriend proved this wrong, dramatically, not only with his choice of colours he likes to wear but also his choice of entertainment.
He doesn’t like Science Fiction.
![]() |
| This made role play rather… awkward. |
I managed to convince him to watch Battlestar Gallactica, but we only got part way through season one. Firefly met the same fate. I did manage to get him to watch the Star Trek movie released in 2009 (which was released in Australia on my birthday! Best. Present. Ever.). When I discovered that TNG is currently showing on TV on Thursday nights, he ran away and locked himself in our spare room and played his guitars to drown out my pleas.
He refuses to watch Labyrinth with me.
![]() |
| He wears makeup, tights, kidnaps small children, and sings a lot, yet every female I know wants him... Go figure. |
And despite the fact I bought him a ticket to SupaNova (think ComicCon but small and Australian) he flat out refused to go, even when tempted with the idea of all the gorgeous girls running around in sexy cosplay outfits.
I’ve realized there isn’t really a caboose to my train of thought in regards to this subject other than the fact that preconceptions based upon childhood experiences of a person when going into a relationship can have more tragic outcomes than one could ever dream of.
After all, I know he’ll never propose because of this:
![]() |
| Engage! |




No comments:
Post a Comment