Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sucker Punch: A Review

Are the Tomb Raider films sexist?

What about the Resident Evil films?

How about Black Swan or any other dance film?

No?

Then why the hell are people saying Sucker Punch is sexist?!

Five young girls running around wearing skimpy clothing whilst killing monsters, or wearing skimpy clothing whilst dancing, is not something I consider sexist. Especially considering the three films mentioned above exhibit the exact same behavior and one out of three is considered an Oscar worthy performance.

Seriously, How is dancing to Tchaikovsky in a leotard whilst battling inner demons, any different from dancing to Bjork whilst battling inner demons with cool CGI?

Neither are sexist nor demeaning to females and feminism.

Anyway, I saw the film, I didn’t entirely enjoy it as I felt it was rather flat throughout and that there should have been more explosions and dragons and it was a bit too Steam Punkish for me, but all in all, It’s nothing to go crying about due to sexism or whatever.

If you want a good popcorn flick and to look at pretty girls and listen to a pretty damned good soundtrack, go see it.

If you too soft and your panties are in a knot and your bra is still on the BBQ, go back to watching Oprah.

No comments:

Post a Comment